11 May, 2009

Assignment!

Here goes:
What are your current obsessions?
Guardian ad litem case: the public defender requested that I be replaced with someone more objective.
Quartet for the End of Time: being performed with the Bakken Ensemble next season,
The third movement being performed at the Decatuer Arts Festival on the 22, 23, 24th of May 2009
Food, aging, motherhood changing to cronehood.
Domestic violence
Black Books and Dylan Moran's work
Which item from your wardrobe do you wear most often?
Black sweatpants and my massage/pilates business logo t-shirt
Last thing you bought?
a flat of marigolds and a flat of petunias
What are you listening to?
The clock in the next room
Favourite kid's film
Nanny McPhee
Favourite Holiday Spots
Kew gardens, Hampstead heath, MN landscape arboretum, my friend's back yard in Calistoga, Golden Gate Park Japanese Garden, Greece is probably one, Argentina, Arizona, Catalina Island, m friend's organ room in kirkland, the ocean (any ocean)
What are you reading right now?
Tender mercies
Four words to describe me: 
chubby, crabby, badhair, tired
Guilty pleasure?
ice cream with stuff in it
Who or what can make you laugh until you are weak?
Ann Lamott, Black books, Dylan Moran, 
First Spring thing?
Saw crocuses in London. 
In Minnesota: watched maple sugar tapping and production line at arboretum, and ate the pancakes with their own syrup at the breakfast
Planning to travel next?
Atlanta, West coast and Maine
What do you wish for most?
gentleness, and grandchildren
Best thing you ate and drank recently?
lavender scones with clotted cream, high tea at cafe latte
When & with whom did you last eat dinner by candlelight?
Last winter, with Kathy and Denise at pazzaluna. I think I ordered risotto.
Favourite ever film?
A Good Year
Care to share some wisdom?
Look before you leap, then leap anyway
If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be?
greater awareness of self destructive behaviors
What's your motivation for starting another day?
Jasmine tea, sunshine, unpaid bills, wanting to be a more loving parent/adult
Rules of la meme:
Respond and rework. Answer questions on your own blog. Replace one question. 
I didn't actually replace a question because I liked them all
Add one question.
What is in your refrigerator?
Pasta salad, red raspberries, yogurt, granola, oreo ice cream, frozen sour cherries, eggs, cheese, beelers bacon
Tag 8 people: 
Maggie M
Alex B
Adam M
Lola W
Kathy H
Beth H
Kathleen W
Pat R


1 comment:

Beth H. said...

I have no blog on which to complete my assignment, so I am borrowing this one, which I greatly adore.

What are your current obsessions?
Figuring out how to turn talent into a desirable commodity in a tough market; learning to be a better advocate for my sons, one of whom is crying out for a hand to hold on his school/life path right now; allowing myself to trust my nurturing relationships; above all, letting abundance crowd out scarcity in my life.

Which item from your wardrobe do you wear most often?
The second the snow melts, I develop a total inability to wear closed-toe shoes. I don’t envision getting out of my sports sandals until Halloween. Also, I have a thing for very expensive bras. I will sell an organ before I give up my Chantelle T-shirt bras.

Last thing you bought?
Some French sheep’s milk feta and a thorough wash for my old car, which I would like to sell. I paid an extra $2.50 to have the cargo area vacuumed, which was a tremendous bargain considering the last thing I did with the Volvo was haul firewood.

What are you listening to?
The little voice in my head that wonders why I haven’t gotten my shiny Christmas iPod loaded with great stuff. I’ve got great stuff, I’ve got an i-Tunes card, why can I not treat myself in this arena?

Favourite kid's film
Shrek

Favourite Holiday Spots
Beaches, southwestern deserts, and mountains, preferably with ready access to excellent food and wine with which to collapse after hiking or swimming.

What are you reading right now?
Martha Beck’s 4-Day Win, a book on women’s sexuality, “Big Boy Rules,” which is about a (now dead) mercenary in Iraq who I wrote about last year, and perhaps 14 or 15 assorted magazines.

Four words to describe me:
12 pounds heavier than my goal, more energetic than in years past, uncomfortable in public, smart.
Guilty pleasure?

Plural: onion rings and all of Bravo’s Real Housewives series.

Who or what can make you laugh until you are weak?
Mary’s mother, Linda, and the sight of my younger son “making” the beds at my house with his own artistic flair.

First Spring thing?
First day it’s nice enough to walk around a lake without feeling clenched up. A backyard that smells like lilacs.

Planning to travel next?
Disney World. I’m equal parts elated and terrified.

What do you wish for most?
Peace and prosperity.

Best thing you ate and drank recently?
Green corn and red chile tamales in New Mexico. A nice Syrah grown, amazingly enough, in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.

When & with whom did you last eat dinner by candlelight?
Last night, at an awards banquet, with some old colleagues I hadn’t seen in a long time, at a bad event center. We waited two hours for seriously rubber chicken while Tom Brokaw gave an abysmal speech.

Favourite ever film?
How could I ever answer this?

Care to share some wisdom?
Forget all of that malarkey about progressive discipline, ice cream and game time are the most valuable items in the parental tool kit.

If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be?
Amen to what Julie said: a greater awareness of self-destructive behaviors

What's your motivation for starting another day?
Since scarcity’s grip on me got loosened just a little, my days get better and better. I still have some I’d just as soon not face, but for the most part I am dying to see what they bring.

What is in your refrigerator?
2% for boy #1, soy milk for boy #2, the cheapest dry rose on offer at Trader Joe’s for me, the aforementioned French sheep’s feta, salad greens, and half a can of that nasty, sugary premade icing kids think is the bomb.